Door Makeover

It’s been a busy weekend at our household. I have this 5 page list of things that I want to get done before we sell this house {at least we hope to sell it}. We’ve done a lot to the house over the past year and half and now it’s just some little odds and ends that unfortunately, take up more than just a few minutes to finish.

This weekend, I wanted to get our front and back doors painted. After talking with my friend, Sara, I bought the Big Top color by Dutch Boy for the outside color and I planned on leaving the inside white for the front door and the current stain on the back door.

Here’s what I was working with: {back door & front door}

IMG_0003 IMG_0001

I don’t know how we made it as long as we did with these hideous doors. Granted, we sanded these down, but they needed some work. I’m guessing, as is with the rest of the house, the doors are original. If you look close, there is a spot where the skeleton key would go. There a plate that goes over that now, which Dave spray painted it to match our new hardware.

We first primed the doors and I got the kiddos to give me a hand.

IMG_0002 IMG_0004

The primer dries pretty quickly, so I was able to get my first coat of orange on my doors.

IMG_0006

I was still able to see the green peeking through, so I knew another coat will be in order.

As I was putting the second coat on, I remembered why I didn’t ever want to paint a color in the red family. It takes a million and one coats for it to look good. But alas, I already started and I really liked the way it was turning out. Second coat on…

IMG_0007

Still having some green coming through. I figured one more coat will do. Mind you, I was running back and forth between the front and back door painting each coat on. When the doors weren’t dry enough to put a coat on, I started painting the back of the front door white. Third coat on…

IMG_0008

Did you noticed that it’s dark out now? I started this at 10am! By midnight, we felt the doors were dry enough to put on our new locks and hardware to match.

The next day, I started taping up the back door windows so that I can frost them. I bought a can of frost in the spray paint area at Menards and my plan was to frost the majority of the window but to leave some unfrosted so that some sun can come in.

Here’s the back door:

IMG_0009

{Ignore that screen door, It’ll be replaced by the weekend:)}

IMG_0010 IMG_0011

As you can see by the third picture, you can see out the window still, but not too much. I taped each window pane with 1/2in painters tape and then I sprayed 3 layers of frost on each pane to get this look.

I tested out this frost method on the back door first because I wanted to make sure I had enough privacy if I had this look on the front door. But, I felt like it was too much open window for the front door since there are 9 window panes.

I opted to just outline around all 9 of the window panes instead of doing each one individually. I also put 3 layers of frost on each pane.

Here it is….

IMG_0012 IMG_5362

Here’s how our front entrance look like with our wrought iron patio:

IMG_5364

I plan on putting some sort of welcome sign out front, but I haven’t located the right one yet. Not too bad for a weekend:)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s